Since the late 1700's, Jordan’s Point served as an industrial and transportation hub of Lexington. In the late 1700s a ford crossed the river at the point; by the early 1800s industries including grist and saw mills, forges and foundries had sprung up. Maps, drawings, and photographs show these buildings along with dwelling houses and such transportation facilities as docks, a canal, railroad line, and a covered bridge. Historic Lexington Foundation purchased a surviving 19th-century dwelling, the “Miller’s House” and conveyed it to the City of Lexington in 2001; funds from the Virginia Department of Transportation facilitated the building’s renovation as a transportation museum. Washington and Lee University Archaeology faculty and students have conducted testing at the Point to document the daily lives of residents and workers during the 1800s and earlier. Finds will be used in museum exhibits at the museum and university. HLF worked to nominate Jordan’s Point, including the Miller’s House, as a historic district. In August 2016, Jordan's Point was added to the National Register of Historic Places and designated as a Virginia Treasure.